Thursday, February 10, 2011

Nothing

Ray doin somethin. Or possibly nuthin...
This past week we watched "How to draw a bunny"- a documentary about the artist Ray Johnson.  It was very interesting to see how his art compares with that of Beuys and Kaprow, since they were all (at least partly) performance artists and some of Johnsons pieces certainly were influenced by Kaprow's Happenings.  I also really like the idea of Johnson's use of the US postal service as a sort of medium for his work.  It seems to take art as far away as possible from a museum setting, since it is on the move.  While I enjoyed watching the documentary and learning about Johnson as an artist, I was left a little disturbed by his "final piece" as some would call it. Johnson obviously had some issues towards the end of his life to have planned something like that so meticulously.  That being said, it was quite amazing to see how he arranged his entire house in a particular way to basically tell what had happened to him.  Amazing and sad.

I thought that Mary Jane Jacob brought up some good points in her convocation speech the other day.  I liked her idea that art should be something that can be experienced anywhere, not just in a museum.  Johnson certainly would agree with this idea considering his history with mail art.  This idea was also important when we went to Depere to visit the WC Gallery in a bathroom.  I agree with Jacob's statement that museums tend to separate art from everyday life, and that with public art there is more of a direct exchange between the artist and the audience.  Jacob went on to talk about how there is a difference between the artwork and the experience of the artwork, which seems to be a recurring theme over the last few weeks, but is not only applicable to performance art.

I have had to find a new musician to score my video, as the previous has run into scheduling conflicts.  I contacted the dean of the conservatory and he gave me some suggestions.  Hopefully all goes well.  I have also posted another series of clips for translation.  This is an important interview and once it is subtitled I think I will have enough to make a few more segments of the video.  The last step is to interview Jodi as well to fill in the parts that haven't been covered yet.

PS: Did you know you can download a Ray Johnson font?
http://www.fontriver.com/font/ray_johnson/

4 comments:

  1. yah not only Ray Johnson's work had something to do with The Happening, I also think Mary Jane Jacob's nothing idea in art relates to that too. She mentioned that art shouldn't last long which I think it basically means art can only be art when it is actually in a show with the eyes of audiences laid on it. It is sort of similiar to the happening

    ReplyDelete
  2. The idea of art being viewable in locations other than museums is rather interesting, and I particularly like Mary Jane Jacob's preference for public art that involves the community. The way she collaborates with others makes her work not just her own, but a group project. It's a different approach with inputs from multiple people, but it allows for a very different sort of result.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You brought up almost all the same points that I did on my post! I was also completely astonished by Johnson's last piece of "nothing," which was his own death. Although it was such a tragic and unfortunate way of creating an artwork, I was still simply fascinated with how he planned everything out before his death. The way he placed all his artwork facing the wall, and the only work facing the right way was his own portrait. It seems to me that his last piece of work was like a conclusion to all the other work he completed during his lifetime.
    Another idea that you and I both brought up in our posts is how Mary Jane Jacob talked about having art displayed in open spaces, or different locations, other than just museums. I really liked how she supported her beliefs, and although I agree with her to an extent, I also slightly disagree as well. Regardless of how many ways there are to display a collection of art, I believe that the most authentic way to display artwork is by placing it at a museum. No matter how many locations curators are experimenting with nowadays, museums and art gallerias always allow viewers to gain the utmost experience and knowledge.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We can only hope that by focusing so hard on the importance of bats, that like Mary Jane Jacob's projects, your video can make the invisible visible to members of the community. Perhaps a function of art is to do that?

    ReplyDelete